Re: [RFC/P] Port System Re-Engineering (Repost from -ports_at_)

From: Beech Rintoul <beech_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 18:30:08 -0900
On Tuesday 04 December 2007, Garrett Cooper said:
> Andreas Pettersson wrote:
> > Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> >> 1. What is more important to your personal use of FreeBSD (the
> >> ports system, the underlaying OS, some other aspect)?
> >>

> >> 2. How frequently do you interact with the ports systems and
> >> what is the most common interaction you have with it?
> >
> > Portupgrade a few times a month
> >
> >> 3. What is the single best aspect of the current system?
> >
> > Installed ports are configurally very similar to the source
> > distribution (no renamed config files etc), so it's easy to get
> > support from the community.
> >
> >> 4. What is the single worst aspect of the current system?
> >
> > I find it difficult to downgrade installed ports.
> >
> >> 5. If you where a new FreeBSD user how would your answers above
> >> change?   If you where brand new to UNIX how whould they change?
> >
> > Not sure.
> >
> >> 6. Assuming that there was no additional work on your behalf
> >> would you use a new system if it corrected your answer to number
> >> 4?
> >
> > I think so.
> >
> >> 7. Same as question 6 but for your answer on question 3?
> >
> > I think not.
> >
> >> 8. How long have you used FreeBSD and/or UNIX in general?
> >
> > FreeBSD since 2003.
> >
> >> 9.  That is your primary use(s) for your FreeBSD machine(s)
> >> (name upto 3)?
> >
> > Firewall, development, misc
> >
> >> 10. Assuming there is no functional difference what is your
> >> preferred installation method for 3rd party software?
> >
> > Ports
> >
> >> 11. On a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the best) please rate the
> >> importance of the following aspects of the ports system?
> >>
> >>        a. User Interface                               *5*
> >>        b. Consistency of behaviors and interactions    *7*
> >>        c. Accuracy in dependant port installations     *8*
> >>        d. Internal record keeping                      *6*
> >>        e. Granularity's of the port management system  *?*
> >>
> >> 12. Please rate your personal technical skill level?
> >
> > Average
>
>     Instead of asking all of the questions on a list, why not just
> direct people to input information via a webpage? Seems to be a bit
> more effective / less traffic than posting results to multiple
> lists.. -Garrett

I strongly second that suggestion. There is far too much noise on some
of these lists as it is.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech_at_FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html