Re: 7.0beta3 Installation problem

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 02:01:33 +0100
> > Did you try key 3 = Safe Boot ? (in 10 second timeout before selecting
> > USA etc).  Some old laptops fail to read fdisk properly without it,
> > eg my Digital with 7.0-BETA3-i386-disc1.iso,
> > 	http://berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/digital/
> > 	http://berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/#loader.conf
> > Though as I see you are using amd*iso I guess you should have a Lot newer
> > ATA interafce than my old 586.
>
> This is a SAS system, not SCSI.  I can get a dmesg tomorrow if that's
> helpful.

Only SAS in GENERIC is
	device          mfi             # LSI MegaRAID SAS
Is that SAS you mean ?  I dont have one. I had problems even without
RAID on one old Laptop I refered to (an old traditional P-ATA )

> The problem is not in the geometry detection, but rather than
> sysinstall tells me about the geometry every single time I hit a key
> in fdisk.

My Fdisk or disk driver saw disk size, but Fdisk (via possibly failing
disk driver ?) failed to see 4 slices.  I've given up on 7 + Sysinstall
+ Fdisk on that old Dell laptop, & will do a manual old fashioned
Unix style install, avoiding sysinstall.  At least taht way I will have
a platform to work/ analyse from.  Detail: