Re: 7.0beta3 Installation problem

From: Michael W. Lucas <mwlucas_at_blackhelicopters.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 17:04:44 -0500
On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 09:53:39PM +0100, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> "Michael W. Lucas" wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Every key press in the FDISK menu displays the incorrect geometry
> > message.  For example:
> >
> > Downloaded 7.0-BETA3-amd64-disc1.iso from ftp.freebsd.org a couple days ago.
> >
> > Select country -> USA
> >
> > Select either Express or Custom install.  In this example, I chose
> > Express.
> >
> > Select Partition.
> >
> > Get incorrect geometry message, hit ENTER.
> >
> > See FDISK menu.
> >
> > Hit up arrow.
> >
> > See incorrect geometry message again, hit ENTER.
> >
> > See FDISK again, with selection moved up 1.  Hit up arrow again.
> >
> > See incorrect geometry message again, hit ENTER.
> >
> > Should I open a PR, or is this known?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Did you try key 3 = Safe Boot ? (in 10 second timeout before selecting
> USA etc).  Some old laptops fail to read fdisk properly without it,
> eg my Digital with 7.0-BETA3-i386-disc1.iso,
> 	http://berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/digital/
> 	http://berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/#loader.conf
> Though as I see you are using amd*iso I guess you should have a Lot newer
> ATA interafce than my old 586.

This is a SAS system, not SCSI.  I can get a dmesg tomorrow if that's
helpful.

The problem is not in the geometry detection, but rather than
sysinstall tells me about the geometry every single time I hit a key
in fdisk.

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	mwlucas_at_BlackHelicopters.org, mwlucas_at_FreeBSD.org
      Now Shipping: "Absolute FreeBSD" -- http://www.AbsoluteFreeBSD.com