Re: CURRENT Kernel makes the system run very very hot

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 00:55:54 +0100
Thomas Sparrevohn wrote:

> As I said its relatively new - I am running root on ZFS (and everything else) and
> had a reproduceable deadlock when I was using ZFS of Nvidia ATARAID so I
> dropped the ATA RAID and are now running ZFS on the raw disks - It started occuring some
> point after that (last two weeks).

There is practically no chance ZFS is causing that behaviour. In any
case it's easy to check - run off a LiveCD without ZFS initialized
(which will be by default on the official disc1/fixit CD) and check there.

Barring some silly programming mistake in the idle threads or scheduling
(like removing the HLT or similar instructions, or a bug in the compiler
optimizing it out), the most probable cause could be a driver problem or
an interrupt storm (see vmstat -i). If it's not that, try running powerd.