Re: FreeBSD 7 trivial problems / notes

From: Nikolay Pavlov <qpadla_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:52:30 +0200
On Wednesday 12 December 2007 20:50:56 Ivan Voras wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > % The suggestion to make it non-fatal sounds nice though.  Maybe
> > % we should consider an `rc.conf' option which controls if mount
> > % failures are actually considered fatal or just `annoying', and
> > % then make the failure conditional on that option, i.e.:
> > %
> > %     mount_failure_level={IGNORE,WARN,FATAL}
>
> I like this, but will like to suggest that "WARN" or "IGNORE" be the
> default, since I think there's practically no chance of backward
> compatibility issues.
>
> > % Adding a mount(8) option, which can be set per filesystem is
> > % probably also a good idea, i.e. something like:
> > %
> > %     /dev/acd0  /cdrom  cd9660  ro,auto,mounterror=ignore 0 0
>
> Perhaps you mean "fsckerror=ignore"?
> IIRC Linux has something like this (the "mounterror" variant), and in
> some way it's nice to have this fine-grained per-file system, but this
> particular instance won't save the user from having a machine
> non-bootable with file systems that don't have fsck (if you already know
> you need to ignore this type of error, you already know that you need
> "2" in the fsck field).

If you mean the "errors=continue / errors=remount-ro / errors=panic"
option in Linux then it's define the behavior of the system when the
filesystem is found to be in non consistent state, but not whether fsck is
able to check it or not. So it's somewhat diffrent. Personally i do not
see the requirements for this option too.

Also there is a knob in defaults/rc.conf called "netfs_types" may be it
could be used to skip network filesystem checking?

- Best regards, Nikolay Pavlov. <<<-----------------------------------