Re: ZFS melting under postgres...

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:54:06 +0100
Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> "Ivan Voras" <ivoras_at_freebsd.org> writes:
>> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no> writes:
>>> My router (and DNS, NTP and DHCP server) is a net4801 with a 1 GB CF
>>> chip.
>> Ok, these are probably embedded appliances that don't get much storage
>> traffic. I was thinking about different kind of servers - database,
>> web or file servers.
>
> I'm not sure how you define "embedded" and "appliance".  It's small, but
> it's a fully functional PC (except for the lack of a graphics adapter)
> that runs a full FreeBSD installation.

Of course, I mean no disrespect to the machines :) I know they are fully
functional - there's really no difference once you get a full kernel to
boot on them. But you'll agree that there's not much file system traffic
on a network router (with the services you listed).

I'm interested in how SSD could help me (if they actually can) with
large-ish systems running web servers with associated software (e.g.
database) and office-like servers. So far, I'm having trouble
envisioning a seek-intensive storage application that's also temporary
(to avoid keeping the "real" data on flash drives). Maybe a mail server
queue, with mailboxes on standard drives?