Re: ZFS melting under postgres...

From: Rainer Duffner <rainer_at_ultra-secure.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:12:54 +0100
Ivan Voras wrote:
> I'm interested in how SSD could help me (if they actually can) with
> large-ish systems running web servers with associated software (e.g.
> database) and office-like servers. So far, I'm having trouble
> envisioning a seek-intensive storage application that's also temporary
> (to avoid keeping the "real" data on flash drives). Maybe a mail server
> queue, with mailboxes on standard drives?

Yep.
Although, I don't know if the "cheap" SSDs mentioned can compete with
the SD-RAM backed "super SSDs".
Because, in the mail-server scenario (also: clamav-box, spamassassin
etc.), all you really want to have is I/O.

I don't know if the flash-based "SSDs" can really compete in that area.

cheers,
Rainer