Re: amd64 NVIDIA support in FreeBSD 7

From: Marian Hettwer <mh_at_kernel32.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:10:56 +0100
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:37:07 +0100, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no> wrote:
> "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman_at_gmail.com> writes:
>> I wonder if having a petition signed by a bunch of people would help
>> this along, because I believe that amd64 3D accel on nvidia, is life
>> or death to PC-BSD in a year or so.
>
> What, exactly, do you think a petition would achieve?  Can a petition
> write code?  Can a petition pay somebody to write code?  Petitions may
> work in a democracy, but neither nVidia nor FreeBSD is a democracy.

While this is true (by the way, what is FreeBSD? nVidia is a corporation, therefor not a democracy, but what is FreeBSD?), at least a petition could show how many users would like to have amd64 nvidia support for FreeBSD.
These numbers could (!) be interesting for nvidia. That's what you usually call a "market need" in captilsm speak.
Although I do have my doubts wether we could show nvidia that our need as that big that nvidia would think "hej, wow, what a huge market, let's get em" ;-)
I believe a better way would be just asking nvidia "Hej, how much money do you need to deliver and probably maintain a amd64 version of your driver for FreeBSD".
Instead of signing a petition, users could donate...

./Marian