Re: DDB scripting, output capture, and textdumps

From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:35:24 -0800
M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <47682ED1.7000702_at_FreeBSD.org>
>             Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:
> : Robert Watson wrote:
> : >     buffer, kernel message buffer, kernel configuration (if compiled into
> : >     the kernel), panic message, and kernel version string.  These are
> :
> :
> : Just a sidenote - maybe as part of this change it makes sense to make
> : compiling configuration into a kernel opt-out, not opt-in? We are in
> : 21st century, nobody really cares about saving few kilobytes of kernel
> : memory anymore.
>
> In the embedded world, it matters.
>
> And we already have opt-out.  'include GENERIC; nodev X, nodev Y,
> nodev Z'

So what is your point, exactly? In embedded word nobody runs GENERIC,
and you know it better than anybody else.

My point that Joe User, who runs GENERIC or slightly modified GENERIC
should have kernel config compiled into kernel so that when something
happens this information is available for debugging purposes.

-Maxim