Re: gnop Q

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:50:59 +0100
On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 11:34:10PM +0300, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> Hi there Pawel and colleagues,
>
> am I right in thinking that there's currently no way to iron gnop provider in
> meta-data?
>
> I'm thinking of creating the following geom tree:
>
> ad{4,6,8,10,12}f
> |
> +> raid3/r0f --+
> ad12b          |
> |              |
> +> ad12b.nop --+
>                +> r0f.journal
>
> because journal sector size should be equal to data sector size, which is in
> this case 2k.
>
> ad{4,6,8,10}b are used as two gmirrored swaps
>
> Any thoughts/hints? Thanks in advance.

I'd just create small partition at the begining of raid3/r0f for
journal. What you propose is not best because:
1. Journal is on the same disk as one of the RAID components.
2. Journal is not protected with RAID - ad12 dies and your whole system
   will die.

My suggestion is to create small (~2GB) raid3/r0fa and big raid3/r0fd.
Then use raid3/r0fa as journal provider and raid3/r0fd as data provider.

pjd_at_FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org