7.0 BETA4 unstable on MSI AM2 motherboard

From: Morten Strårup <morten_at_lightworkings.dk>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 22:15:59 +0100
Hi!

I thought I would write here before I made a problem report.

I've been running 7.0-current since april or so without any significant
trouble but now I've run into quite a showstopper.

Until now the hardware used has been a Via C7 1,2 GHz mini-itx system
with 1 GB of RAM. But I've now bought some new hardware for use as a
fileserver and this new hardware doesn't work very well with 7.0. It
consists of an AMD BE2400 cpu, an MSI K9N SLI MCP motherboard with an
Nforce 570 SLI chipset and 4 GB of RAM.

I've run both memtest86 and merseine prime test to make sure that it
isn't the hardware that is faulty. I've tried changing the memory
modules but that didn't help.

Other operating systems like Ubuntu Linux 7.10, NetBSD 4.0 and Freebsd
6.3 RC1 work just fine, but FreeBSD 7.0 does not. These have all been
AMD64 versions. I've also tested 8.0-current which doesn't work either.
I've tested the 7.0 and 8.0 installations with both AMD64 and i386
installations and none work.

For the AMD64 versions the errors consist of:

1. Errors about wrong fileformat when loading shared libraries.
2. Errors about missing symbol table.
3. Errors about not being able to load /etc/termcap when logging in.
4. Errors about relocations when loading shared libraries.
5. Errors about init making an error and then dumping me to singleuser
and then not being able to load sh because of fileformat errors.

For the i386 versions the errors start when loading the BTX, where it
complains about missing acpi modules and then crashes with a list of
what the cpu registers contain.

The AMD64 errors sometimes also show up when installing the 7.0-BETA4.

Please tell me if you need more information or need me to test something
to diagnose the problem.

Kind regards

Morten Strårup