Re: 7.0 BETA4 unstable on MSI AM2 motherboard

From: Travis Mikalson <bofh_at_terranova.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 18:23:48 -0500
Morten Strårup wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I thought I would write here before I made a problem report.
>
> I've been running 7.0-current since april or so without any significant
> trouble but now I've run into quite a showstopper.
>
> Until now the hardware used has been a Via C7 1,2 GHz mini-itx system
> with 1 GB of RAM. But I've now bought some new hardware for use as a
> fileserver and this new hardware doesn't work very well with 7.0. It
> consists of an AMD BE2400 cpu, an MSI K9N SLI MCP motherboard with an
> Nforce 570 SLI chipset and 4 GB of RAM.
>
> I've run both memtest86 and merseine prime test to make sure that it
> isn't the hardware that is faulty. I've tried changing the memory
> modules but that didn't help.
>
> Other operating systems like Ubuntu Linux 7.10, NetBSD 4.0 and Freebsd
> 6.3 RC1 work just fine, but FreeBSD 7.0 does not. These have all been
> AMD64 versions. I've also tested 8.0-current which doesn't work either.
> I've tested the 7.0 and 8.0 installations with both AMD64 and i386
> installations and none work.
>
> For the AMD64 versions the errors consist of:
>
> 1. Errors about wrong fileformat when loading shared libraries.
> 2. Errors about missing symbol table.
> 3. Errors about not being able to load /etc/termcap when logging in.
> 4. Errors about relocations when loading shared libraries.
> 5. Errors about init making an error and then dumping me to singleuser
> and then not being able to load sh because of fileformat errors.
>
> For the i386 versions the errors start when loading the BTX, where it
> complains about missing acpi modules and then crashes with a list of
> what the cpu registers contain.
>
> The AMD64 errors sometimes also show up when installing the 7.0-BETA4.
>
> Please tell me if you need more information or need me to test something
> to diagnose the problem.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Morten Strårup

The symptoms sound a bit similar to the HT1000 on-board SATA issues.

I don't suppose you have a PCI SATA controller you could try out? I used
a cheap Silicon Image 3114 (SiI3114) 32-bit PCI SATA controller while
the HT1000 SATA problems were being worked out.

A "pciconf -lv" from that system would be helpful if you can manage to
get it.

--
TerraNovaNet Internet Services - Key Largo, FL
Voice: (305)453-4011 x101   Fax: (305)451-5991