[KERNEL PANIC] Assigning IP to BCE on CURRENT

From: Conrad Burger <conrad.burger_at_mxit.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:25:04 +0200
Click here to view our e-mail legal notice:
http://www.mxit.co.za/pdfs/mxit_legal.pdf or call: +27 21 888 5000
HARDWARE= DELL 1955 BLADE
OS Version= CURRENT i386(2007-02-01)

When I assign an IP to one of the BCE interfaces on the system the kernel
PANICS.

>From KDB:
Panic: invalid ife->ifm_date (0xa) in mii_phy_setmedia

Cpuid = 0
KDB: enter:panic
[ thread pid 715 tid 100041]
Stopped at kdb_enter + 0x2b:nop

I then type "panic" and it writes a vmcore dump.

But when I analyze the vmcore using kgdb and run a "bt" it only gives me the
backtrace of the kdb and shutdown.

Is there a way to write a dump without kdb interfering?

Another thing, I tried to install CURRENT-snapshot-2007-01(AMD64), but after it
boots from the USB DVDROM. Sysinstall cannot access the USB DVDROM.
Is this a known problem?

Regards
Conrad