Re: geli broken

From: Yoshihiro Ota <ota_at_j.email.ne.jp>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 11:27:01 -0500
On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 17:15:19 +0100
Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 11:21:18PM -0500, Yoshihiro Ota wrote:
> > RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/sys/geom/eli/g_eli.c,v
> > Working file: g_eli.c
> > head: 1.34
> >
> > revision 1.34
> > date: 2007/01/28 20:29:12;  author: pjd;  state: Exp;  lines: +7 -0
> > It is possible that GEOM taste provider before SMP is started.
> > We can't bind to a CPU which is not yet on-line, so add code that wait for
> > CPUs to go on-line before binding to them.
> >
> > Reported by:    Alin-Adrian Anton <aanton_at_spintech.ro>
> > MFC after:      2 weeks
> > ----------------------------
> >

> > The change noted above caused problem with my system.
> > After typing password, the geli device was never recognized never response.
> > It looked like it was in an infinity loop.
> > I have the following entry in my fstab and I need to type in my password for it.
> >
> > /dev/da0s2.eli          /export         ufs     rw              2       2
> >
> > After reverting to 1.33, my system started without problems.  I use GENERIC kernel
> > configuration without WITNESS and INVARIANTS.
>
> Could you provide dmesg from your machine?

Sure.  Here is the diff to the GENERIC as well.

--- GENERIC     13 Dec 2006 03:41:47 -0000      1.460
+++ GENERIC     3 Feb 2007 16:28:29 -0000
_at__at_ -63,10 +63,10 _at__at_
 options        KDB                     # Enable kernel debugger support.
 options        DDB                     # Support DDB.
 options        GDB                     # Support remote GDB.
-options        INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra sanity checking
-options        INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
-options        WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
-options        WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on spinlocks for speed
+#options       INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra sanity checking
+#options       INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
+#options       WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
+#options       WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on spinlocks for speed

 # To make an SMP kernel, the next two lines are needed
 options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kerne