Re: Call for Testers: FreeBSD webcam driver (and more)

From: Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri <almarrie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 16:50:09 +0000
On 1/31/07, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_icir.org> wrote:
> I think I reached a first interesting milestone in my project
> to build an emulation layer to compile linux device drivers on FreeBSD.
>
> I managed to build a FreeBSD port of the linux 'gspca' driver (which claims
> to support 228 different webcams) with basically no modifications to
> the original source. So it would be good if someone could give a try
> to this code, either on -current or -stable, keeping in mind that
> this is NOT PRODUCTION READY yet.
>
> More details on how the thing works are at
>
>         http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/FreeBSD/linux_bsd_kld.html
>
> together of course with source code, and even binary modules
> for FreeBSD 6.2.
> Basically I would like to know how it builds/works on -current,
> have reports on cameras that work with it and those which don't
> and so on. The driver supports the Video4Linux API so it should
> be useful for a variety of applications.
>
>         cheers
>         luigi

Luigi, this is great move to have more hardware support for FreeBSD,
and I wish we could port and use more linux drivers as well, for xorg
and other things like CardReader for laptops ..etc, thank you for
going to the right direction ;)

I tried to compile it the ports since I have builtin webcam, and usb
webcam but I got these msgs about my old usd stack.

Aspire5102# make clean && make install
===>  Cleaning for linux-kmod-compat-20070202
===>  linux-kmod-compat-20070202 is marked as broken: Requires a
recent USB stack. you have 602000.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/linux-kmod-compat.

I'm using FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE

FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #2: Sat Feb  3 16:14:33 UTC 2007
arabian_at_Aspire5102:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ARABIAN  i386

--
Regards,

-Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri
Arab Portal