Re: PAM problem

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:18:34 -0800
> Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:33:28 +0200
> From: Marinos Ilias <marinosi_at_ceid.upatras.gr>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> Thank you Oliver.
>
> I did reinstall all my ports too, but I could not understand why this
> problem occured.I still cannot.I reinstalled sudo and now it works
> fine , just like my other installed ports.

Wow, that was a long line.

-current is, by definition not -stable. APIs and ABIs changes rather
frequently and that breaks things that were built for the ABIs in older
versions of FreeBSD. Before v7 moves to the sedate life of -stable,
there will be compatibility shims and a V6 compatibility port built to
keep old binaries working, but that is a lot of work and simply does not
happen until the ABIs are frozen for 7.0-Release.

This means that you will spend a lot more time rebuilding ports when you
run -current. It is not for the faint of heart or those who don't have
the time to build ports rather more often then they are used to.

If you are asking specifically about sudo, I have no idea which libraries
caused the failure, but it is not unexpected that most ports can do this
from time to time.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)