Re: Problems with qemu networking after recent upgrade

From: Juergen Lock <nox_at_jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 21:20:49 +0100
On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 09:23:29PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 02:40:31AM +0100, Juergen Lock wrote:
> > In article <20070108230555.GA1274_at_mail.scottro.net> you write:
> > >
> > >After an upgrade Saturday (after a long period of not upgrading)
> > >networking in qemu has stopped working for me.  All modules load without
> > >trouble (unlike my recent vmware troubles.)
> > >
> > >If, in a Windows guest system, I do ipconfig, it shows a typical
> > >10.x.x.x qemu address.  (My home network is a 192.168.1.x and qemu has
> > >always worked with it.)
> > >
> > >However, if I then open up a web browser, or do anything else that
> > >requires Internet connectivity, I get page cannot be found.
> > >

> > Oh wow I should have catched that one... :-O  Looks like the 10.0.2.3
> > dns redirection is broken indeed!
>

> >  Workaround: use the host's /etc/resolv.conf in the guest (or the
> > nameserver(s) in there), I'll see if I can investigate further tomorrow.
>

> I'm not sure if it's DNS per se.  Trying the workaround you suggested,
> of putting the nameserver in the guest didn't solve it.

Yeah it seems to only work `sometimes', when I tried it after I
read your post it worked, today after some playing around even
the `normal' 10.0.2.3 dns redirect worked again for a while, then
it stopped again.

>  Also, when I
> tried typing in a web address by IP rather than, for example
> http://www.google.com, it still didn't work.  (I also tried playing with
> the gateway settings and a few other things.)

 I also tried http://<google.com's ip> and it worked for me so far,
also ssh'ing to 10.0.2.2 i.e. the host has not yet stopped working
for me. (which I think is why I didn't notice the bug myself...)

> Thank you, however, for working on it. I'm glad to know that (this time)
> it isn't just me.  Also, many many thanks to Bakul, who tried to help me
> privately with this.

 You're welcome. :)  (Will post on the qemu list with some more details
of this bug, I guess I'll Cc -emulation...)

	Juergen