Re: broken linuxulator in -current as of Jan 8 17:51:45 CET

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:33:12 +0100
Quoting Tijl Coosemans <tijl_at_ulyssis.org> (from Wed, 10 Jan 2007
17:45:30 +0100):

> On Wednesday 10 January 2007 17:01, Divacky Roman wrote:
>> I discussed it with alexander today and I propose that installation
>> of linux_base should set (or tell user to set) the osrelease to the
>> version whicih is the given linux_base shipped with on default.
>>
>> fc4 ships with 2.6.11 kenrel and we force it to use 2.4.2 no wonder
>> it doesnt work as expected
>
> That's entirely your decision of course, I'm only a simple user, but
> isn't that a bit too radical? The cause for the error was entirely
> FreeBSD related (the /compat/linux trick in open() and the unfortunate
> fact that FreeBSD has a librt.so.1 of its own). Otherwise fc4 works
> just fine with a 2.4 kernel. Of course, if linuxulator is ready for it
> then by all means.

Roman is jumping the gun. In general it is a good idea to run the
linux base with the kernel version it is running natively. So far the
2.6 emulation is not a stable replacement of the 2.4 emulation. So the
change Roman is proposing will not happen soon. If 7.0 will ship with
2.6 as the default (i386 _&_ amd64), the linux base port will be
change in a suitable way, but until we _know_ (instead of hope) that
7.0 will ship with 2.6 as the default, we have a lot of work/tests to
do.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
"Why must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love
you knowing nothing?"

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild _at_ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137