WPA-EAP problems

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:08:48 +1030
Hi,
I have a WPA-EAP network setup (to a WRT54G with OpenRadius which
authenticates against an OpenLDAP server on my FreeBSD server), however quite
often dhclient fails to get a lease at first go.

My wpa_supplicant file looks like..
network={
        ssid="dons"
        scan_ssid=1
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        identity="username"
        password="password"
        phase2="auth=PAP"
}

I have the following in rc.conf..
ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP"
background_dhclient="YES"

If I kill dhclient and restart it I can get a lease just fine. I don't see the
problem on a WPA-TKIP network.

I think the problem is that the ath interface comes up but no packets can be
transferred because WPA stuff is still happening the initial requests get
lost.

I note that it takes Windows a long time to get a lease - it spends a while
saying "waiting for network to become ready".

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum