Re: WPA-EAP problems

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 22:32:49 -0800
Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a WPA-EAP network setup (to a WRT54G with OpenRadius which
> authenticates against an OpenLDAP server on my FreeBSD server), however quite
> often dhclient fails to get a lease at first go.
>
> My wpa_supplicant file looks like..
> network={
>         ssid="dons"
>         scan_ssid=1
>         key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
>         identity="username"
>         password="password"
>         phase2="auth=PAP"
> }
>
> I have the following in rc.conf..
> ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP"
> background_dhclient="YES"
>
> If I kill dhclient and restart it I can get a lease just fine. I don't see the
> problem on a WPA-TKIP network.

Sounds like an issue with dhclient.  I rarely use anything but WPA-PSK
so haven't noticed issues.

It would be useful to get a wpa log to see how long it's taking to
authenticate.  It'd be nice if dhclient were triggered by authentication
rather than association as packets cannot pass until before.  I've
considered changing things to work in this way.

> I think the problem is that the ath interface comes up but no packets can be
> transferred because WPA stuff is still happening the initial requests get
> lost.

But dhclient should retry and get a lease w/o your restarting it.