Re: Problem with fsck on CURRENT??

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 00:14:21 -0600
On 01/19/07 16:36, Rod Person wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is a problem or is normal but here it is.
>
> I have an external ATAPI drive that is connected to my machine via
> firewire (that case also has a usb2 connection). My system crashed so I
> needed to fsck this disk. Now however I start fsck it does not allow me
> to answer 'Y' to any of the question - it answer N automatically.
>
> I've tried starting fsck with -y and that seems to do nothing! The
> drive is formatted with a UFS2 file system and I have to invoke fsck
> like this:
>
> 	fsck -t ufs /mnt
>
> Otherwise it claims not to be able to tell what file system type it is?
> I'm just wondering is this normal for external drives even if they are
> formatted with a native file system? Fsck doesn't act this why with my
> internal SCSI drives?

Without doing a background fsck, fsck won't allow writes to the disk if
the partition is mounted.  Try unmounting the file system, and running
fsck again.

Also, you should include more details about your
device/partition/slices/etc in order to get a better response on the
second part of your question.

Eric

An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions.