Re: WiFi driver companies

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:54:27 -0800
Kip Macy wrote:
> It has frequently been mentioned that Ralink is open. However, I have
> no vendor contact information so I cannot confirm that. For
> maintaining and extending the ralink drivers I rely on the linux
> driver put out by ralink as a reference. The atheros driver is
> extremely well supported, and for the foreseeable future will continue
> to be your best choice when using freebsd. To the best of my
> knowledege the only chipset which has publicly available documentation
> is the Prism II with Intersil firmware - which is supported by wi(4)
> (which I wish everyone would throwaway so I could stop throwing
> band-aid after band-aid at it and spend the time adding 11n support).

FWIW the Prism docs were never public; they were just so widely
circulated under the table that it just seemed like that :)

I know of no wifi vendors that openly distribute information about their
products (though something makes me think atmel does/did?).  ralink has
never responded to my requests for information despite various folks
claims.  Most vendors just stick out linux drivers and people take 'em
apart to do bsd drivers.

	Sam