Re: Promise SATA300 TX4 card issues

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:10:37 +0200
Nathan Butcher <n-butcher_at_fusiongol.com> writes:
> I've been having problems with my ZFS pool consisting of 4 drives hooked
> up to my Prmoise SATA 300TX4 controller. It had been working fine until
> to around the 19th of this month, and then I started seeing error
> messages whenever I tried to write lots of data to ZFS..... followed by
> a nasty lockup with no other debugging information of which to speak of.

This is a recurring problem with ZFS and ata disks.  It appears that the
ata driver doesn't like the ATA_FLUSHCACHE command very much, and ZFS
uses it a lot.  Turning off atime helps, as does turning off ata write
caching (hw.ata.wc=0 in loader.conf) - I still get timeouts and
transient hangs once in a while, but my server no longer crashes:

des_at_dwp ~% zpool list
NAME                    SIZE    USED   AVAIL    CAP  HEALTH     ALTROOT
raid                   1.45T    298G   1.16T    20%  ONLINE     -
des_at_dwp ~% uptime
 6:09PM  up 31 days,  5:02, 4 users, load averages: 0.95, 0.71, 0.66

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no