Re: cached update flaws...

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:16:57 +0200
Quoting Michael Bushkov <bushman_at_freebsd.org> (from Tue, 10 Jul 2007
11:46:49 +0400):

> Alexander Leidinger wrote:

>> Are my expectations about cached wrong, or is it misbehaving?
>
> Your expectations are not wrong. There is a cached version in my
> perforce branch that has all the necessary functionality (it watches
> local files and flushes the cache when needed). It's in the process of
> commitment. I'm sorry that it takes so much time to get it committed.

Thanks for the status update.

>> And while we are at it, is there really a need to print the cached
>> version number and the fact that it was developed during GSoC 2005
>> at each start? It clutters the visual appearance at boot time.
>
> While I was developing cached (during GSoC 2005, as you can guess) I
> was  extremely inspired by the GSoC program and about the people that I
> had a chance to meet because of this program. That's why I put that
> message. Actually, I'm still as inspired :) . I can delete the message,
> however.

No program/daemon in the base system which is started at boot time
prints such a message (at least I don't remember one in my typical
configurations), so I would say we have a lot of precedence which
suggests at least to suppress this message at boot time...

Bye,
Alexander.

--
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.
		-- Benjamin Disraeli

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild _at_ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137