Re: cached update flaws...

From: Michael Bushkov <bushman_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:46:49 +0400
Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Alexander,

> somehow cached doesn't work as I think it should work. I have a jail in
> which I use cached. There I wanted to install doxygen. As part of this
> cups (dependency from qt) is build. The cups port adds a cups user and
> group. After adding the group/user the configure script checks for the
> user. This fails as cached doesn't know about the added user. I have to
> restart cached to see the user/group (tested with "pw groupshow cups").
>
> Are my expectations about cached wrong, or is it misbehaving?

Your expectations are not wrong. There is a cached version in my
perforce branch that has all the necessary functionality (it watches
local files and flushes the cache when needed). It's in the process of
commitment. I'm sorry that it takes so much time to get it committed.

> And while we are at it, is there really a need to print the cached
> version number and the fact that it was developed during GSoC 2005 at
> each start? It clutters the visual appearance at boot time.

While I was developing cached (during GSoC 2005, as you can guess) I was
  extremely inspired by the GSoC program and about the people that I had
a chance to meet because of this program. That's why I put that message.
Actually, I'm still as inspired :) . I can delete the message, however.

--
With best regards,
Michael Bushkov