Re: Closing some old bug reports.

From: Mark Linimon <linimon_at_lonesome.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:24:01 -0500
On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 09:08:02AM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:53:13AM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
> > Done.  fwiw, you can always email bugmeister_at_FreeBSD.org with these
> > type of requests and we'll clean them up.
>
> Then only bugmeister will see the list of PR.

Well, true.

> > Out of curiosity, did the problems get resolved in later releases, or ...?
> > (I only saw the one commit that fixed a problem in the list, but some were
> > so old they would not have gotten the auto-annotation from the commit.)
>
> AFAIK, only one was fixed.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is I like to close PRs that are obsoleted
by event (unsupported kernel; hardware no longer available) but am concerned
about closing ones that are still problems, no matter that they're old.
What I have found in the last few years of working through the PR backlog
is that the age of a PR does not necessarily correlate with whether the
problem has been resolved.  (This is especially true for bin/ PRs, where I
am still trying to generate more committer interest in resolving them.  The
kern/ PRs tend to be of two types, "fix for specific problem" and "can't
get XYZ to work"; the latter tend to get stale more than the former).

We have a long way to go before we could claim that we respond promptly
to PRs, and we are going to have to "evolve" ourselves in that direction.
We've actually made a great deal of progress on that so far this year.
We are doing better at triaging PRs as they come in, and we now have a
way to flag a small subset of PRs that the bugbusting team thinks are
ready for committer attention.

So what I'm saying is that I hope I didn't just close some PRs for
legitimate problems just because you're frustrated with the pace of
progress :-/

mcl