Re: Removing an accidentally incorrect vdev from a ZFS pool

From: Craig Boston <craig_at_xfoil.gank.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:26:11 -0500
On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 03:53:19PM -0700, Steven Schlansker wrote:
> I now need to remove this broken vdev from my array.  I haven't added
> any data, so there shouldn't even be any data at all on it.  However all
> the remove/delete options to zpool seem to exclusively work on mirrors
> and hot spares.  I really need to get this vdev off the zfs - it's
> entirely useless.  How can I do that?  I've already taken out the
> accidental drive - I want to try to recover the old filesystem off of
> it.  Lucky it wasn't too important, though it'd be nice to have.  Now i
> have an array stuck permanently degraded.

I don't think it's currently possible to remove a vdev from a pool
without destroying the pool and re-creating it.  That being said, it may
be possible to salvage your situation.

The first thing I would try would be

zpool replace [pool] ad19 ad18

Once the resilver completes, your pool should magically get bigger,
though you may have to export/import the pool first (or reboot if you
can't unmount what's on it).

If that fails, could you please post the output of 'zpool status' to the
list?

Craig