Re: Removing an accidentally incorrect vdev from a ZFS pool

From: Steven Schlansker <stevenschlansker_at_calmail.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:39:46 -0700
Craig Boston wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 03:53:19PM -0700, Steven Schlansker wrote:
>> I now need to remove this broken vdev from my array.  I haven't added
>> any data, so there shouldn't even be any data at all on it.  However all
>> the remove/delete options to zpool seem to exclusively work on mirrors
>> and hot spares.  I really need to get this vdev off the zfs - it's
>> entirely useless.  How can I do that?  I've already taken out the
>> accidental drive - I want to try to recover the old filesystem off of
>> it.  Lucky it wasn't too important, though it'd be nice to have.  Now i
>> have an array stuck permanently degraded.
>
> I don't think it's currently possible to remove a vdev from a pool
> without destroying the pool and re-creating it.  That being said, it may
> be possible to salvage your situation.
>
> The first thing I would try would be
>
> zpool replace [pool] ad19 ad18
>
> Once the resilver completes, your pool should magically get bigger,
> though you may have to export/import the pool first (or reboot if you
> can't unmount what's on it).
>
> If that fails, could you please post the output of 'zpool status' to the
> list?
>
> Craig

(Sorry about the duplicate Craig, meant to post that to the list.)

Aha!  Since I figured it was the wrong hard drive, I opened the case...
and voila, my 400GB hard drive was actually installed and showing up
incorrectly in dmesg.  I replaced the pci interface, and now, a few
resilvers and reboots later, everything is peachy.
  Thanks!
Steven