Re: upgrade 6-STABLE to -CURRENT on sparc64 renders box unusable

From: Ken Smith <kensmith_at_cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 12:24:20 -0400
On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 22:41 +0200, Michiel Boland wrote:
> Well, in fact I did manage to debug this further. :)
>
> The problem is that on sparc64 and -CURRENT, every executable segfaults in
>
>   _rtld
>    init_rtld
>     relocate_objects
>      reloc_non_plt
>       mmap
>        __getosreldate
>
> It appears that __getosreldate was added five days ago, which may explain
> why the breakage on sparc64 hasn't been reported yet. (I am ccing peter_at_
> since he committed this.)
>
> If I apply the following patch, then rebuild libc, things are more or less
> ok again. Of course this patch is very suboptimal, I am just trying to
> point out where the problem is.

Thanks for your work on this, it helped quite a bit.  The problem is
also affecting the PowerPC architecture.  A fix that Alexander Kabaev
worked out for sparc64 just got committed as V1.15 of
libexec/rtld-elf/sparc64/reloc.c; we're still looking at PowerPC.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith_at_cse.buffalo.edu