Re: Console output stops - machine keeps on working

From: Gelsema, P \(Patrick\) - FreeBSD <"Gelsema,>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:17:29 +0200 (CEST)
On Mon, July 16, 2007 17:39, Craig Boston wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 12:30:05AM +0200, Gelsema, P (Patrick) - FreeBSD
> wrote:
>> I am running FreeBSD 7-Current-200706. Everything seems to be detected
>> during boot and all goes ok until the moment the message that the fxp0
>> link state changed to up. After that moment the console output stops. I
>> cannot get to other tty;s or get output running again.
>>
>> However the machine is responsive and I can log on by SSH remotely and
>> do
>> everything as if I were at the console. When I login by typing blind at
>> the console and issue the reboot command or when I press the power off
>> button on the workstation the console shows output again (not any use as
>> it is then rebooting or powering off).
>>
>> See http://www.superhero.nl/messages.txt for the message output during
>> boot.
>>
>> Anyone seen this kind of behaviour?
>
> I've been seeing this intermittently on a relatively recent -current.
> It seems to have started when I added KDB/DDB to the kernel config, but
> I haven't disabled it yet to see for sure if that's the culprit.
>
> Mine is an SMP (dual-core) system if it makes any difference.  It stops
> right after a 'bge0: link up' message.
>
> Craig

AMD Athlon X2 (AMD version of DUal Core) on an Asus M2N motherboard.
Problem started after installing the latest Bios. I see this problem only
when running AMD64 version. With I386 no problems.

I installed I386 as AMD64 gave too many problems such as mangled entries
and unable to mount / after buildworld and a reboot. It seems that it has
to do with memory and the memory hole.

Patrick