Re: Reminder: NET_NEEDS_GIANT, debug.mpsafenet going away in

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:48:21 +0100 (BST)
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Scott Bennett wrote:

>  [Cc: list trimmed a bit more  --SB]
>     On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:42:14 +0200 Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net>
>
>> [ Excess CC-list ... testers needed!!! ]
>>
>> On Tuesday 17 July 2007, Robert Watson wrote:
>
>     I missed Robert Watson's start of thread, so I'm jumping in here
> with a question.
>
>>> This is a reminder e-mail that, in the very near future, Giant
>>> compatibility shims for network protocols will be removed.
>
>     How, if at all, will this affect qemu users?  qemu exits unless AIO is
> present in the kernel (or aio.ko has been kldload-ed).  In FreeBSD 6.2, AIO
> results in a warning message at boot time that says AIO is not MPSAFE and
> that therefore the networking stack will take a deep performance hit.

Per several earlier e-mails in the thread, AIO is MPSAFE in FreeBSD 7.0 and,
as such, unaffected by this change.  As a result, I would expect that
applications depending on AIO should now perform significantly better (but
have done no measurement in this area).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge