Re: stopping ndis caused fatal trap 12

From: Scot Hetzel <swhetzel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:07:37 -0500
On 7/15/07, Andrew Thompson <thompsa_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 05:32:32AM -0500, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> > hp010# uname -a
> > FreeBSD hp010 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Sat Jul 14 02:20:09
> > CDT 2007     root_at_hp010:/usr/src/7x/sys-p4/amd64/compile/GENERIC.debug
> > amd64
> >
> > I was testing wpa_supplicant at work, and couldn't get it to associate
> > with the network (open, no encryption), and so I had hardcoded the
> > network.  When I went home and booted the system, it still had the
> > hardcoded wireless network configured.  I then did a netif stop ndis0,
> > made the change to set ndis to "WPA DHCP", then when I used 'netif
> > start ndis0', it didn't obtain an IP.  So I performed an 'netif stop
> > ndis0' and received the following panic:
> >
> So back to the ndis association problem. Did the card find the access
> point? you can list the scan cache from 'ifconfig ndis0 list scan'.

ifconfig ndis0 scan ; ifconfig ndis0 list scan don't return with any
results, but if I run wpa_cli, and do a scan and scan_results it lists
the APs.

I applied your patch from the previous post and ran the following commands.

hp010# sysctl net.wlan.0.debug=0xffffffff
net.wlan.0.debug: 0 -> -1
hp010# ifconfig ndis0 scan
=== see ndis_dmesg2 ====
hp010# ifconfig ndis0 list scan
hp010#

hp010# uname -a
FreeBSD hp010.hetzel.org 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Wed Jul
18 12:25:45 CDT 2007
swhetzel_at_hp010.hetzel.org:/usr/src/7x/amd64/compile/GENERIC.debug
amd64

I was finally able to get connected to both my work and school
networks using the following wpa_supplicant.conf file:

network={
        ssid="Home"
        scan_ssid=1
        key_mgmt=NONE
        wep_key0=9123456c13800b19d3f8
}

network={
        ssid="Work"
        auth_alg=OPEN
        key_mgmt=NONE
}

network={
        ssid="School"
        key_mgmt=NONE
}

#Settings from Windows XP profile for School_WPA
#Association -> Network Authentication = WPA
#Association -> Data Encryption = TKIP
#Authentication -> Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network
= checked (grayed out)
#Authentication -> EAP type = Protected EAP (PEAP)
#Authentication -> Protected EAP Properties -> Validate server
certificate = unchecked
#Authentication -> Protected EAP Properties -> Authentication Method =
Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)
#Authentication -> Protected EAP Properties -> Enable Fast Reconnect = checked

network={
        ssid="School_WPA"
        proto=WPA
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP
        eap=PEAP
        identity="me_at_school"
        password="password"
        ca_cert=""
#        phase1="include_tls_length=1 peapver=1 peaplabel=1"
        phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
        disabled=1
}

But I haven't been able to get it to connect to School_WPA (see
ndis_test, ndis_dmesg) when it is enabled.  I had searched the net,
and found several hints that suggested to try various combinations of
peapver=x, peaplabel=y, and include_tls_length=1.  But none of them
worked.

Scot

--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.