freebsd-current_at_lists.freebsd.org

From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin_at_cs.duke.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:14:15 -0400 (EDT)
[didn't seem to go through first time; apologies if you
 see this twice]

Hi,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD/amd64 on a Core2 based iMac using the
last snapshot I could find (7.0-CURRENT-200706-amd64-disc1.iso).  I've
got a blank firewire disk I plan to throw at it.

At boot, sysinstall dies with "Probing disks... BARF 170 <33>",
which causes a "Going nowhere without my init!" panic.
This message points to this code in libdisk:

                /* APPLE have ty as a string */
                 if ((*r) && (strcmp(t, "APPLE") && strcmp(t, "GPT"))) {
                         printf("BARF %d <%d>\n", __LINE__, *r);
                         exit (0);
                 }

This happens with or without the firewire drive plugged in, so I'm
assuming FreeBSD's getting confused by the internal disk.  According
to the Apple utilities, the disk looks like this:

% sudo diskutil list /dev/disk0
/dev/disk0
   #:                   type name               size      identifier
   0:  GUID_partition_scheme                    *232.9 GB disk0
   1:                    EFI                    200.0 MB  disk0s1
   2:              Apple_HFS Tiger              51.5 GB   disk0s2
   3:              Apple_HFS Leopard            51.5 GB   disk0s3
   4:              Apple_HFS home               129.2 GB  disk0s4

I'm about to plug the firewire disk into another box and install using
make installworld DESTDIR=/firewire_disk, but this is the sort of
thing that would really, really put off your typical FreeBSD would-be
adopter.  Is there anything we can do to fix this in the 7.0
timeframe?

On a somewhat related note, how well does FreeBSD even work on
an iMac?  Can we suspend/resume SMP machines yet?

Thanks,

Drew