Re: FreeBSD on intel Mac

From: George Hartzell <hartzell_at_alerce.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:11:06 -0700
Andrew Moran writes:

 > Is it the case that I can install and boot freebsd on an intel mac
 > (uses EFI, not BIOS) currently (without using Boot Camp), or do I
 > have to wait until FreeBSD 7 for this functionality?

Boot Camp seems to be a marketing term, I still haven't figured out
what various people mean when they use the term.  Is it the assistant?
The windows driver CD?

Here's what I did to run FreeBSD on a mac pro.

I started with a default Mac OS X installation from my distribution
DVD onto a virgin disk 500MB disk.  Then I downloaded bootcamp and ran
the boot camp assistant.  I let it resize the mac partition (I made it
as small as possible) and then gave it a freebsd -stable amd64 CD to
install from.  After running through the install, you'll end up booted
back into the minimal mac os x installation.  Then I downloaded and
installed refit into the root and ran it's enable shell script.

Now, if I hold down the option key as the machine powers up, I'm
offered the choice of booting my "real" os x install on a different
disk or refit (oddly, it asks me about booting windows, I've never
tried it).  When I choose refit, it gives me a couple of things to
boot from, including either of the mac installs or my freebsd system.

I think that if I run refit's enable-always shell script, I can avoid
the option key trick and possibly just boot into freebsd by default,
but I haven't explored that option.

g.