Re: status of 7.0

From: Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie_at_le-hen.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:13:25 +0200
Hi Marc,

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 01:51:06PM +0200, Rene Ladan wrote:
> Marc UBM Bocklet schreef:
> >

> > I'd like to do some testing, but I'm a little bit afraid of the upgrade
> > procedure 6.2-stable to -current. Is it possible to do a simple upgrade
> > if I follow the guidelines in UPGRADE or are there any hidden caveats?
> > (like "you've to recompile all installed ports", etc. :-))
> >
> [...don't try this on a production box...]
>
> Just following the procedure and the changelog entries in
> /usr/src/UPDATING should do the job.  It's probably best to cvsup into a
> new directory and clean /usr/obj before beginning the update.  That's
> how I updated from RELENG_6 to HEAD back in November 2006.
>
> Since we have a misc/compat6x port and a COMPAT_FREEBSD6 kernel
> configuaration option, it shouldn't be necessary to rebuild all your
> ports.

I'd like to add that whenever I performed an upgrade between two
FreeBSD major branch I found easier to use sysutils/etcmerge than
mergemaster(8) to upgrade /etc, as the former is far more automated and
prevents a lot of work due to the huge number of changes to merge.

Important note (also explained in the "ROUGH DESCRIPTION OF USE" part of
etcmerge manpage):
1) Make sure your current /etc is up-to-date (IOW run mergemaster(8)) WRT
   your current RELENG_6 source tree;
2) Follow etcmerge manpage to get /var/db/etc corresponding to the _stock_
   /etc directory from your source tree.

Best regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen