Pending TrustedBSD stuff, etc.

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 10:34:45 +0100 (BST)
On my TODO list still:

(1) Enable audit by default.  Currently I'm working on an patch that moves the
     per-process audit state into the process credential, which both improves
     audit performance for threaded apps, and also eliminates an extra memory
     allocation per process fork.  Once that's reviewed/tested, I'll do the
     AUDIT enabled by default thing.

(2) Finish eliminating SUSER_ALLOWJAIL.  This is a purely syntactic patch in
     that SUSER_ALLOWJAIL actually no longer does anything, but it touches a
     significant percentage of kernel privilege checks, so requires careful
     testing and review.  This patch is in flight now also.

(3) I might do one more minor OpenBSM import -- no real functional changes,
     but documentation tweaks and cleanups, especially to the man pages.

Things I would like to see happen, but may not get to:

- For years, several of us have wanted to bump the System V IPC ABI to use
   full-size uid's, etc.  I laid the groundwork for this in 5.x by starting to
   divorce the kernel and userspace data structures, but it's never happened.
   We would provide binary system call compatibility to previous FreeBSD
   versions, but because as the new API introduces new ABI system calls (etc)
   it's somewhat disruptive, so can only happen on a major version number
   change.

- Peter Wemm has been talking about moving us to 64-bit inode numbers for
   years; with the advent of very large file systems and their presumed
   popularity over the coming 3-5 years, it would be really good to have this
   in 7.0 or it will have to wait for 8.0.  However, this is quite a disruptive
   change, as it requires package rebuilds, etc, and we're almost out of time.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge