Re: Pending TrustedBSD stuff, etc.

From: Garance A Drosehn <gad_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:52:07 -0400
At 10:34 AM +0100 6/1/07, Robert Watson wrote:

>Things I would like to see happen, but may not get to:
>
>- Peter Wemm has been talking about moving us to 64-bit inode numbers
>   for years; with the advent of very large file systems and their
>   presumed popularity over the coming 3-5 years, it would be really
>   good to have this in 7.0 or it will have to wait for 8.0.  However,
>   this is quite a disruptive change, as it requires package rebuilds,
>   etc, and we're almost out of time.

I suspect this should wait.  It would probably be better to group
together all the other changes to filesystem stat-ish data that we've
also been talking about for years, and do them all in the same major
release.  I don't know at what level you mean to move to 64-bit inode
numbers, but if (for instance) you meant a 64-bit value for st_ino,
then I'd also like to see a 64-bit value for st_dev at the same time.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn_at_rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad_at_FreeBSD.org