Re: ZFS compatibility

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 19:23:36 +0200
> I am setting up a new fileserver for personal use. I have 3x 300GB
> SATA drives for data storage and they are connected to a SIIG Serial
> ATA 4-channel RAID card. I'm not going to use the crappy RAID on the
> SIIG card. I want to use ZFS, however I don't want to run and keep up
> with CURRENT. In the meantime, if I install Solaris 10 for x86, and
> create a ZFS pools and filesystems, will I be able to just install
> FreeBSD 7.0 RELEASE (when ready) on the OS drive and then mount my ZFS
> filesystems on the 3x SATA drives?

My understanding is that the on-disk format is entirely compatible in
terms of ZFS, but there are problems with the GPT. FreeBSD will detect
the GPT but complain that it's broken or some such; or at least it did
last time I tried.

Perhaps it's possible to make Solaris do away with the GPT and just use
the plain disk, or some such.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey_at_scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org