Re: [AMD64] X.org build eats all the memory when compiled with GCC 4.2

From: <youshi10_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:39:04 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 08:40:30AM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:

>>> Well, until then, is it not possible to at least put the following patch
>>> in ports/x11-servers/xorg-server/files:
>>
>> [ ... ]
>>
>>> That would make a lot of people very happy. In particular those running
>>> amd64.
>>
>> Yes, it happens on i386 too.  I think requiring more than 1GB of swap
>> is ridiculous.  Please patch gcc or the port.
>
> You can test the new gcc snapshot here:
>
>  http://people.freebsd.org/~kan/contrib-gcc421.tar.gz
>
> Just extract it over the top of /usr/src and rebuild world.  Please
> confirm that it helps with this problem.
>
> Kris

Ok, I'll give it a shot on my i386 and amd64 boxes when I get back home tonight.

FYI, from <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2007-05/msg00670.html>:

<snip>

I would like to try to keep the GCC 4.2.x release branch on the
time-driven release cycle for point releases that is part of the GCC
development plan.  I left an embarrassing gap in the GCC 4.1.x release
cycle, and I plan to avoid that mistake for GCC 4.2.x.

Therefore, I plan to make the GCC 4.2.1 release on or about July 13th.
As with the 4.2.0 release, I will be most concerned about P1 regressions
in 4.2.x, not present in 4.1.x.

</snip>

So the next release is just around the corner. Yay!

Cheers,
-Garrett