Re: [AMD64] X.org build eats all the memory when compiled with GCC 4.2

From: Garrett Cooper <youshi10_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:44:06 -0700
youshi10_at_u.washington.edu wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>> [ ... ]

>>> Yes, it happens on i386 too.  I think requiring more than 1GB of swap
>>> is ridiculous.  Please patch gcc or the port.
>>
>> You can test the new gcc snapshot here:
>>
>>  http://people.freebsd.org/~kan/contrib-gcc421.tar.gz
>>
>> Just extract it over the top of /usr/src and rebuild world.  Please
>> confirm that it helps with this problem.
>>
>> Kris
>
> Ok, I'll give it a shot on my i386 and amd64 boxes when I get back
> home tonight.
>
> FYI, from <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2007-05/msg00670.html>:
>
> <snip>
>
> I would like to try to keep the GCC 4.2.x release branch on the
> time-driven release cycle for point releases that is part of the GCC
> development plan.  I left an embarrassing gap in the GCC 4.1.x release
> cycle, and I plan to avoid that mistake for GCC 4.2.x.
>
> Therefore, I plan to make the GCC 4.2.1 release on or about July 13th.
> As with the 4.2.0 release, I will be most concerned about P1 regressions
> in 4.2.x, not present in 4.1.x.
>
> </snip>
>
> So the next release is just around the corner. Yay!
>
> Cheers,
> -Garrett

    I'm double checking, but I'm pretty sure that snapshot does the
trick. scanpci now compiles in 0.47 seconds and casually glancing at top
it appears that memory usage doesn't go over 50 MB. This was done on a
P4 machine with 2GB RAM synced yesterday and recompiled today with the
gcc snapshot. I don't remember how much swap I had, but it was less than
2GB IIRC.
    That snapshot looks groovy and I'm really looking forward to the
next release slipstreamed into base :).
-Garrett