Re: panic when removing pccard

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky_at_c2i.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:13:03 +0200
On Tuesday 19 June 2007 11:06, Niki Denev wrote:
> Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> > On Friday 08 June 2007 10:31, Niki Denev wrote:
> >>
> >> I experience the following panic on a few days old -current :
> >>
> >> If i insert and then remove a pcmcia card using the ubsa module
> >> (Vodafone Mobile Connect, which actually is Huawei E630 UMTS/HSDPA
> >> modem) the machine panics, because i think the order of removal of the
> >> devices by the kernel is not correct. I'm not sure because i don't have
> >> -STABLE machine with pcmcia now, but i think this problem does not exist
> >> there.
> >>
> >> Here is what happens when card is inserted :
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > If you want to be able to remove the card you need to install the new USB
> > stack. The old USB stack is completely broken when it comes to this
> > point!
> >
> > --HPS
> >
> > http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/usb4bsd
> >
> > Install the SVN version.
>
> I've followed the instructions and did a svn checkout of the source,
> then did make install and after this i rebuilt my kernel and modules (i
> had to disable if_ural)
> But even after this i get the same panic when removing this specific card.
>
> P.S.: How can i be sure that my new kernel and modules are using the new
> USB stack?
> I'm thinking that maybe something got wrong with the installation.

Check the "dmesg".

If you see something like:

usb0: 12MBps Full Speed USB v1.0
usb1: 12MBps Full Speed USB v1.0
usb2: 12MBps Full Speed USB v1.0
usb3: 480MBps High Speed USB v2.0

Then you are using the new stack.

Make sure that you are using the latest version. Hence you needed to
remove "if_ural.c" it does not sound like you are using the latest version.

Do a "svn update" again, build a new package, install that, and build a new
kernel.

--HPS