Re: Progress on scaling of FreeBSD on 8 CPU systems

From: Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 06:12:46 +0100
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 03:59:52PM -0500, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>> I do *not* want to start a database war here, but I'm wondering if any
>>> testing has been done with PostgreSQL? The reason I'm asking is that
>>> there are some benchmarks that show MySQL falling off drastically with
>>> increased concurrency:
>>>
>>> http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2006/11/30/interesting-mysql-and-postgresql-benchmarks/
>>>
>>> It would be interesting to see how the changes you've made stack up
>>> using PostgreSQL as the benchmark.
>> I've mentioned this a couple of times, but postgresql didn't scale
>> well [on freebsd at least] when I tried it last year.  I hope to
>> revisit when I get time.
>
> Let me know if you need help when you get to that point. Keep in mind
> that PostgreSQL's out-of-the-box configuration is pretty conservative,
> so you won't get good numbers that way.

Just a me 2 for postgresql tests:

I would be interrested in postgresql numbers too as i have servers with
2 x dual core (xeon, dell 2850ies) currently running 6.1. I'm basically
looking for something like a benchmark which would justify upgrading (or
even experiment with 7.x) to my boss. I am aware that it's not your job
to spend your valuable time doing obscure tests for us, so consider this
rant as another "vote" for postgresql performance benchmarks.

--
Sten Daniel Soersdal