Re: multisegment bus_dmamem_alloc()

From: <john_at_utzweb.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 17:02:50 -0500 (EST)
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 09:03:31AM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
>> Looking at bktr, it's not at all clear to me why the author felt that
>> FreeBSD didn't support bus_dmamem_alloc.

because it didnt when he wrote it back in the 90's!

IIRC he presented this on freebsd-multimedia around freebsd 2x

> The bktr author has been gone from the project for several years, and the
> code had been neglected for a while before that.  The PRs against it
> reflect
> this (that's the only reason I know about this driver; I wound up
> resetting
> the PR assignments).

that's hilarious. this os is getting old :-)

> So this isn't a case of someone not following the standards, this is just
> plain old bitrot.

textbook example thereof, should be added to textbooks as an expository
example :-)

it's rather astounding that it's worked for this long; reminds me of the
guy on the raft in 'The Cruel Sea'

>  With bugmeister hat on, I'd be glad to see someone pick
> up this driver and fix it.

me too! best of luck!