Re: [head tinderbox] failure on i386/i386

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:45:27 +0200
Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org> writes:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 12:11:53PM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> > No, the tinderbox just uses -O2 (which implies -fno-strict-aliasing).
> No, it implies -fstrict-aliasing,

Sorry, typo on my part.  I meant what you said.

> which is why the tinderbox often breaks on code that was tested 100%
> correctly by the committer prior to running with your nonstandard
> flags ;)

The code was obviously not tested 100% correctly, as the C standard
forbids aliasing.  Unfortunately, there are people in this project who
systematically oppose any attempt to improve code quality, especially
when it comes to their own code, and they have succeeded to the extent
that not only is -O2 not the default, but the kernel build system is
even instrumented to prevent its full use.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no