Re: We don't really need two FTP daemons

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 15:42:12 +0200 (CEST)
Wojciech A. Koszek wrote:
 > There is a lot of confusion caused by the fact of having two instances
 > of the FTP daemon present in our source tree.
 >
 > First one is src/libexed/ftpd/...
 >
 > Second one lies in src/contrib/lukemftpd/...
 >
 > We don't need to have both of them, unless one has much more powerful
 > functionality over the second. However, in my opinion the major purpose
 > of having FTP daemon in the base is possibility of fast configuration
 > with minimal cost, just to "get it up and running".
 >
 > I think first server fullfills this requirement.
 >
 > If you're FreeBSD user and administrator, there are several advantages
 > of having only one FTP server.
 >
 > I think first daemon was security reviewed by the previous FreeBSD
 > security officer, which is the biggest plus. lukemftpd(8) had some well
 > known problems present in the past.
 >
 > The first is updated and it's functionality is enhanced to meet
 > standards (see latest changes from Yar Tichy).
 >
 > Cost of maintainance of one server is lower.
 >
 > It saves a lot of confusion for users -- we have both daemons present in
 > a inetd.conf(8) file, without mentioning, whether a first is more
 > powerfull than the second one.
 >
 > Some discussions with FreeBSD developers made me feel that we may really
 > want to sort a "double FTP daemon" issue out.
 >
 > Could we decide if we really want to support lukemftpd(8) ?

I think it would make sense to move lukemftpd to ports and
remove it from the base system.  It might be worth noting
that lukemftp (the client) already is in ports.

Well, in fact I'm not convinced that there has to be an
FTP daemon in the base system at all.  But I guess it's not
possible to reach a consensus on removing all ftpds from
the base completely.

Best regards
   Oliver

"... there are two ways of constructing a software design:  One way
is to make it so simple that there are _obviously_ no deficiencies and
the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no _obvious_
deficiencies."        -- C.A.R. Hoare, ACM Turing Award Lecture, 1980