Re: Experiences with 7.0-CURRENT and vmware.

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 17:16:56 -0400
On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 08:44:48PM +0000, Darren Reed wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 03:41:44PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 12:54:45PM +0000, Darren Reed wrote:
> > > In another reply it was "hint.apic.0.disabled=1".
> > > My current loader.conf:
> > >
> > > vm.kmem_size=536870912
> > > vm.kmem_size_max=536870912
> > > unset acpi_load
> >
> > acpi_load="NO" to disable the module
> >
> > > hint.acpi.0.disabled=1
> > > hint.apci.0.disabled=1
> >
> > dunno what apci does :)
> >
> > > hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
> >
> > This is the one that should work.  Can you confirm that you see it in
> > the loader environment by doing 'show'?
>
> ok.  I modified my loader.conf to be:
>
> hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
> vm.kmem_size=536870912
> vm.kmem_size_max=536870912
> vfs.zfs.arc_max=402653184
>
> and now ACPI is didsabled when the kernel boots :-)
>
> Is it possible for parsing errors of this file to generate errors?
> And maybe pause for a few seconds so they can be read?

I guess all things are possible with forth.

> When I was modifying the loader.conf, I was looking for errors on
> bootup but regarding getting acpi vs apci vs apic right, I never
> saw any.  My experience also tells me that errors seem to quietly
> stop the rest of the file being parsed or...?
>
> > > # sysctl kern.timecounter.hardware="ACPI-fast"
> > > kern.timecounter.hardware: ACPI-safe
> > > sysctl: kern.timecounter.hardware: Invalid argument
> >
> > kern.timecounter.choice
>
> When I tried to set this with sysctl, I got told it was read-only.
> The next step was to put it in loader.conf but now ACPI *is* disabled :)

Sorry, .hardware was the correct one.  I don't know why you are unable
to set it at runtime:

xor# sysctl kern.timecounter.hardware=TSC
kern.timecounter.hardware: ACPI-fast -> TSC
xor# sysctl kern.timecounter.hardware=ACPI-fast
kern.timecounter.hardware: TSC -> ACPI-fast

Kris