Re: Experiences with 7.0-CURRENT and vmware.

From: Darren Reed <darrenr_at_hub.freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 20:44:48 +0000
On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 03:41:44PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 12:54:45PM +0000, Darren Reed wrote:
> > In another reply it was "hint.apic.0.disabled=1".
> > My current loader.conf:
> >
> > vm.kmem_size=536870912
> > vm.kmem_size_max=536870912
> > unset acpi_load
>
> acpi_load="NO" to disable the module
>
> > hint.acpi.0.disabled=1
> > hint.apci.0.disabled=1
>
> dunno what apci does :)
>
> > hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
>
> This is the one that should work.  Can you confirm that you see it in
> the loader environment by doing 'show'?

ok.  I modified my loader.conf to be:

hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
vm.kmem_size=536870912
vm.kmem_size_max=536870912
vfs.zfs.arc_max=402653184

and now ACPI is didsabled when the kernel boots :-)

Is it possible for parsing errors of this file to generate errors?
And maybe pause for a few seconds so they can be read?

When I was modifying the loader.conf, I was looking for errors on
bootup but regarding getting acpi vs apci vs apic right, I never
saw any.  My experience also tells me that errors seem to quietly
stop the rest of the file being parsed or...?

> > # sysctl kern.timecounter.hardware="ACPI-fast"
> > kern.timecounter.hardware: ACPI-safe
> > sysctl: kern.timecounter.hardware: Invalid argument
>
> kern.timecounter.choice

When I tried to set this with sysctl, I got told it was read-only.
The next step was to put it in loader.conf but now ACPI *is* disabled :)

Cheers,
Darren