Re: HEADS UP: shared library bump, symbol versioning, libthr change

From: Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:33:12 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 11 May 2007, Alexander Kabaev wrote:

> On Sun, 6 May 2007 10:07:51 -0400 (EDT)
> Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com> wrote:
>
>> Sometime this coming weekend (May 11-13), I'll be committing the
>> following patch:
>>
>>    http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/symver/bump_symver.diffs.050207
>>
>> What does this do?
>>
>>    o All library versions that haven't already been bumped and
>>      that are not new to 7.0 will be bumped.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I always had a problem with wholesome bumpings like these.

I also had a problem with doing wholesale bumps, you can probably
search the archives to find an objectior or two from me.  But
that is how things have been done in the past, so I was just
trying to take the path of least resistance.

> What is the
> justification for such a broad sweep? libc bump CAN NOT be made an
> excuse for cascaded bumps. FreeBSD does not record LIBC dependency into
> shared libraries themselves, so as long as libc sybols used by the
> shared library did not change ABI between libc.so.6 and libc.so.7, old
> shared libraries will happily work with both.

The only ABI change that I am aware of is get[by]hostname(), but there
may be others.

> If there are are symbols
> that are missing or have changed in libc.so.7 that prevent it from
> being a perfect superset of libc.so.6, can we consider adding them back
> instead, with FBSD_1.0 version and making changed symbols FBSD_1.1 or
> some such? Sure, this will break older unversioned -current binaries as
> they will start resolving to FBSD_1.0 symbols, but your bump will
> obsolete them too, so -current users will need to recompile either way.
>
> I always thought that original LIBC bump was a mistake.

I agree, but the problem is that noone has been keeping track of
ABI changes and how they affect other shared libraries.  I'm not
sure what the changes are or what is affected if anything.  I
think that is the real crux of the matter and why re_at_'s have
always done wholesale library bumps in the past.

> Please consider this an objection until this matter is discussed in
> more detail.

At a minimum, all libraries that have been symbol-versioned need
to be bumped, though.  How about if I commit everything except for
the bumping of non-symbol-versioned libraries?  After a later
discussion, re_at_ can decide whether or not to bump the remaining
libraries.  Is this acceptable?

--
DE