Re: cpufreq & enhanced speedstep

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer_at_omnisec.de>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 13:51:52 +0200
Am Dienstag, 15. Mai 2007 schrieb Rui Paulo:
> At Tue, 15 May 2007 12:47:18 +0200,
>
> Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 15. Mai 2007 schrieb Rui Paulo:
> > > At Mon, 14 May 2007 23:48:07 +0200,
> > >
> > > Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > I don't really know why it fails..
> >
> > With acpi_throttle and p4tcc disabled, like you advised, this
> > message doesn't occur any more.
> > But I only have two possible speed steps, 2400 and 1600. But it's
> > switching smoothly between them, atm. I don't have a power meter handy,
> > so I can't see if it really works (and saves power).
>
> I have a driver to gather the temperature reading of the CPU.
> If the temperature drops when you've enabled powerd, then it's most
> likely working.
> (Check my message "MacBook patches" if you wanna try it out)

I did (I had to copy src/backlight and src/msrtemp to src/sys/dev/ and
src/sys/modules/).
Here is what I get when I load the module:
msrtemp0: <CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors> on cpu0
est1: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu1
est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 928092806000928
device_attach: est1 attach returned 6
msrtemp1: <CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors> on cpu1

But these values are too high, my BIOS tells me ~50°C:
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 68
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 69

Also my bios shows temperatures for ather chips, namely ich, gmch, and system.
I haven't tried mbmon or consolehm or healthd but I guess they won't give any
results via smbus with that new monitoring devices.

Is there anything I can do to correct the ACPI table for the right power
values of my CPU?

Thanks a lot,

-Harry

--
OmniSEC  -  UNIX und Windows Netzwerke - Sicher
Harald Schmalzbauer