Re: We don't really need two FTP daemons

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_tower.berklix.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 12:30:37 +0200
Someone asked whether lukemftpd offered functionality other(s) don't ?
What about proxy ?

I've never been sure which ftpd to run on my gateway (with IPFW, with no NAT)
to provide proxy, so internal hosts could cd /usr/ports; make fetch

I've tried various ftpd's but never got the right combination of ftpd &
client host environment variables (+ipfw), + some feeling of safety,
as not wanting (most the time) to allow incoming ftp from internet
to my gate (or beyond !), & some ftpd descriptions don't sound secure.

Any reccomendations please of working combinations of ftpd's & env. vars
& ipfw rules from people succesfully running make fetch
on internal client hosts via proxy ftpd's on gateway, without NAT ?
(Apache on gate works as http proxy already with IPFW & with no NAT).

Julian
--
Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
	Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.  Dump cigs: Try snuff.